PARIS, February 13th, 2011
Tofinists dear friends,
During the General Assembly of December 4th, 2010 I was appointed President of the International Tofinou Club, replacing Jean-Paul Mattei. Jean-Paul has decided to resign to better concentrate on other activities, but he remains Captain of the Tofinou 9m50 Class. I thank Jean-Paul, who has deeply modified the structures of our Club, giving it a new dimension.
Many 7m Class Tofinists know my boat « Banania”. I usually sail with my wife Sophie and my children -when I get them motivated! I am an avid participant in all sailing regattas on Ile de Ré for ages, and my boat has already been seen in Arcachon and Cannes. I am a member of the Measurement Committee of Tofinou 7m, and since last year, I am in charge of the Blue Wind Cup’s steering committee.
My observation is as follows:
- First of all, the activity of our Club has grown significantly in recent years. It is no longer confined to Ile de Re. Tofinou are represented in many sailing locations and their events are noticed! Just take a look at the schedule of regattas 2011: Ajaccio, Arcachon, La Baule, Cannes, St. Tropez, etc..
- Our events and our boats have a great deal of sympathy, which brings together well beyond the owners and their teammates. I could feel it last year when I organized the Blue Wind Cup.
- Finally, we receive from our shipyard Latitude 46 an active support, provided generously and with energy by Christian and Catherine Iscovici.
My main projects for this year 2011 will be:
- Firstly, the International Club Tofinou must be a support to the organizers of regattas and events. They are the ones that justify the existence of the Club and its role is to help them expand their efforts. I’m listening to their needs and I will try to answer them.
- I would also help Class Captains to continue the work on gauges. The 7m Class has received a serious facelift last year, and there are some issues to be resolved this year. The gauge of 9m50 is mature, and the 8m gauge must be implemented. It is an essential framework for the harmonious development of our regattas.
- Finally, I want to create a website that will allow our Club to exist outside of our events. The General Assembly has accepted my proposal, and I hope to be able to launch it by next spring.
On this website, you will have access to information about our club, its organization, its activities, its members, the different classes and their gauges. You will be notified of upcoming events, and you will have access to practical information such as Sailing Instructions, Sign up sheets, with a space dedicated for each event. You will be able to view results, comments, and photos afterwards. Finally you will have the opportunity to share information about your boat, your experiences, to post requests or offers, etc.
Thank you for your confidence and enjoy your sail on Tofinou in 2011, with all of your teammates!
Mobile: +336 77 85 22 10
Email: didier.mardon @ free.fr
N.B. You will find enclosed the schedule of regattas TOFINOU 2011, and the membership form, 2011, to return with your payment of 50 Euros at the headquarters of the association – thank you by advance, it will help us to achieve our goals. For Tofinou 7M, the statement of compliance with class rules 2011 is to be returned at the same time. It is compulsory to register for races of ITC.